The Bengal Land Revenue (Settlement and Deputy Collectors) Regulation, 1833
(Bengal Regulation No. 9 of 1833)
[Passed by the Governor-General in Council on the 9th September, 1833]
Short title given by Act I of 1903. The Reg. stands repealed by Section 339 (a) of U.P. Act I of 1951, in all areas in respect of which Notes. under Section 4 of the aforesaid Act I of 1851 have been made.
A Regulation [* * *] for the [appointment of Deputy Collectors] in the Revenue Department [* * *]
1. [* * *] It having been found expedient [* * *] that [persons] of respectability should be employed in more important trusts connected with the revenue-administration, the following provisions have been enacted, to be in force from the date of their promulgation.
2 to 15. [Modification of Bengal Reg. VII of 1822, etc.] - Repealed in the Province of Agra by Act XIX of 1873.
16. Appointment of Deputy Collectors. - It shall competent to the [State Government] to appoint to any revenue-jurisdiction a Deputy Collector, with the powers hereinafter specified.
17. [Persons eligible to office, and how appointed.] - Repealed by Act 10 of 1914.
18. [Monthly allowance how fixed, and susceptible of increase.] - Repealed by Act X of 1914.
19. [Solemn declaration by Deputy Collectors.] - Repealed by Act X of 1873.
20. Subordination of Deputy Collectors. - The Deputy Collectors appointed under this Regulation are to be in all respects subordinate to the Collector under whom they may be placed, and are required to perform all duties assigned to them by that functionary.
21. Duties in which Collectors may employ them. - It will be at the discretion of the later officer to employ them in settlement-duties under the provisions of [Regulation VII, of 1822] in the superintendence of the Government khas mahals, and generally in the transaction of any other part of the duties of a Collector.
22. Their proceedings how recorded and how appealable. - All proceedings held by a Deputy Collector appointed under this Regulation shall be recorded in his own name and on his own responsibility, subject to the revision and control of the Collector, and appealable to superior authorities in usual course.
23. Collectors may resume duties committed to them. - Provided always, that the Collector is competent to resume the duties which he may have committed to the deputy, assigning his reasons for so doing for the information of the Commissioner.
24. Interference by Commissioners with arrangements of Collectors for employment of deputies. - Provided also, that the Revenue Commissioners, whenever they think, proper, may interfere with any arrangements made by the Collectors for the employment of the deputies, or the distribution of business to be assigned to those functionaries, subject to the general control vested in [* * *] the [State Government] [* * *]
25. [Rules regarding dismissal of Deputy Collectors.] - Repealed by Act X of 1914.