The Delivery of Mail Order, 1991
Published vide Notification No. S.O. 360 (E), dated May 29, 1991, published in the Gazette of India, (Extraordinary), Part 2, Section 3 (2), dated 29th May, 1991
In exercise of the powers conferred by Section 21 (3) of the Indian Post Office Act, 1898 (VI of 1898), the Director General hereby makes the following Order, namely:-
1. This order may be called the Delivery of Mail Order, 1991 and shall apply to deliver of unregistered mail of the classes specified hereunder.
2. Under this Order, unregistered mail of the following classes : (a) Letter mail, namely; envelopes, inland letter cards, postcards and aerogrammes, (b) Book, pattern and sample packets, (e) Acknowledgement cards; and (d) Registered newspapers, shall be delivered by the postman or Delivery Agent at the address of the addressee, only in single-storeyed buildings and on the ground floor of storeyed buildings.
3. Addressees other than those mentioned in para 2 above shall provide, before this Order takes effect, a Mail Box on the ground floor of the building, in which the address is located at a place acceptable to the Post Office with the address superscribed thereon, into which such mail shall be delivered by postman or Delivery Agent.
4. Persons at the same address may provide a separate Mail Box for each with the name and address superscribed thereon, and two or more addressees may have a common Box, with their address superscribed thereon but no person shall have more than one Box for one address.
5. It shall be open to the Post Office to prescribe the dimensions and other features of Mail Box, and, if deemed necessary to authorise use of only specified manufactures of Mail Box.
6. Post Office may deliver such mail of sizes that do not admit of delivery through Mail Box, parcels and unpaid of insufficiently paid mail of all classes at the address through the postman or Delivery Agent.
7. This Order does not extend to mail for which the addressee is required to give a receipt on delivery, but intimations relating thereto may be delivered through Mail Box.
8. This Order shall take effect on November 1, 1991, but it shall be open to the Postmaster General to authorise continuance of delivery through postman or Delivery Agent, as before, at any station or stations in his jurisdiction after that date also.