The Jaunsar-Bawar Pargana (District Dehradun) Revenue Officials (Special Powers) Act, 1958
(U.P. Act No. 27 of 1958)
[Dated 9th September, 1958]
Received the assent of the Governor on 9th September, 1958 and published in the U.P. Gazette (Extraordinary), dated 10th September, 1958.
An Act to empower the revenue officials in the Jaunsar-Bawar Pargna of the Dehra Dun District to exercise the power of a Police officer-in-charge of a Police Station
Whereas it is expedient to empower the revenue officials in the Jaunsar-Bawar Pargana of the Dehra Dun District to exercise the powers of a police officer or an Officer-in-charge of a police station ;
It is hereby enacted in the Ninth Year of the Republic of India as follows :
1. Short title, extent and commencement. - (1) This Act may be called the Jaunsar-Bawar Pargana (District Dehradun) Revenue Officials (Special Powers) Act, 1958.
(2) It extends to the Jaunsar-Bawar Pargana of the Dehradun District.
(3) It shall come into force at once.
2. Investing Revenue Officials in certain areas with the powers of a Police Officer or an Officer-in charge of a Police Station. - (1) Where the State Government so declares by an Order, a Lekhpal, Patwari or such other revenue officials, as may be specified, shall, subject to such respects and conditions as may be specified, exercise such of the powers and perform such of the functions and duties, as may be specified of a police officer, an Officer-in-charge of a police station under any law for the time being in force notwithstanding anything inconsistent therewith contained in such law.
(2) An order made under sub-section (1) may contain such incidental and consequential provisions as the State Government may consider necessary for carrying into effect the provisions of the declaration made under sub-section (1).
(3) A Lekhpal, Patwari or the revenue official specified in the declaration under sub-section (1) shall not merely by reason of exercising the power of a police officer or of the Officer-in-charge of a police station in pursuance of any order made under sub-section (1) be deemed to be a police officer enrolled under the Police Act, 1861.
3. Order under Section 2 to be laid before the State Legislature. - (1) Every Order, proposed to be issued under Section 2, shall be laid before both Houses of the State Legislature for a period of not less than fourteen days while they are in session and if within that period, either Houses disapproves it or approves it only with modifications, the Order shall not be issued or, as the case may require, shall be issued only with such modification as may be approved by both the Houses.
(2) Every such Order shall be published in the official Gazette and shall take effect from the date of such publication.
4. The police powers conferred on the Tehsildar of Chakrata within the Jaunsar-Bawar Pargana of Dehra Dun District under the Bengal Regulations XI of 1831, as per Notification No. 874/VIII-21, dated July 3, 1913, shall be deemed to have been withdrawn from the date an order made under Sections 2 comes into force.