Bengal Village Chaukidari Act, 1871
The Bengal Village Chaukidari Act, 1871
Bengal Act 1 of 1871
[Dated 25th January, 1871]
An Act to Amend the Village-Chaukidari Act, 1870.]
Preamble. - Whereas it is expedient to amend the provisions of the Village Chaukidari Act, 1870 (Bengal Act VI of 1870) It is enacted as follows :-
1. Act not to apply till chaukidar appointed. - Nothing in the said Act, shall be held to repeal the provisions of Section 21 [Regulation 20 of 1817] in any village or Union until a chaukidar shall have been appointed therein under the provisions of the said Act.
2. Panchayat in certain cases to make assessment within one month. - Whenever a panchayat shall have been appointed in any village, the Magistrate may direct that such panchayat shall, within one month after their appointment, make an assessment for the residue of the year according to the year current in the village upon the persons liable to the payment of the chaukidari rate in such village and shall enter the same in a list containing the particulars required to be set forth in the list mentioned in Section 16 of the said Act.
Such list shall, on its completion, be forthwith published in some conspicuous part of the said village.
3. Commencement of assessment to take effect within fifteen days. - Every assessment so made shall commence and take effect upon the expiration of fifteen days from the publication of such list.
4. Effect of assessment. - Every such assessment shall be deemed to be an assessment made in pursuance of the provisions of the said Act, and the amounts thereby assessed may be collected and enforced accordingly.
5. Rate payable quarterly instead of monthly. - In Section 21 of the said Act, VI of 1870, the word "quarterly" shall be substituted for the word "monthly" and in Section 21 and 26 the word "quarter" shall be substituted for the word "month" wherever such word occurs in the said Sections; and the said Section shall be read and construed as if the words for which they are hereby respectively directed to be substituted had been originally inserted in place of the words for which they are hereby respectively directed to be substituted.
6. [New clause substituted in Section 39 of Ben. Act VI of 1870.] Repealed by the Amending Act, 1897 (V of 1897).
7. Construction. - This Act shall be read with and as part of the said Act, VI of 1870.