Gujarat Legislative Assembly Proceedings (Protection of Publication) Act, 1961
The Gujarat Legislative Assembly Proceedings (Protection of Publication) Act, 1961
Gujarat Act No. 9 of 1962
(First published, after having received the assent of the President in the "Gujarat Government Gazette" on the 28th February 1962).
An Act to protect the publication of reports of proceedings of the Gujarat Legislative Assembly.
It is hereby enacted in the Twelfth Year of the Republic of India as follows:-
1. Short title and extent. - (1) This Act may be called the Gujarat Legislative Assembly Proceedings (Protection of Publication) Act, 1961.)
(2) It extends to the whole of the State of Gujarat.
2. Definition. - In this Act, "newspaper" means any printed periodical work containing public news or comments on public news, and includes a news-agency supplying material for publication in a newspaper.
3. Publication of reports of Assembly proceedings privileged. - (1) Save as otherwise provided in sub-section (2), no person shall be liable to any proceedings, civil or criminal, in any Court in respect of the publication in a newspaper of a substantially true report of any proceedings of the Gujarat Legislative Assembly, unless the publication is proved to have been made with malice.
(2) Nothing in sub-section (1) shall be construed as protecting the publication of any matter, the publication of which is not for the public good.