The Gujarat Official Languages Acts, 1960
Gujarat Act No. 1 of 1961
(First published after having received the assent of the Governor in the "Gujarat Government Gazette" on the 15th February 1961)
An Act to declare the official languages of the State of Gujarat.
It is hereby enacted in the Eleventh Year of the Republic of India as follows:-
1. Short title, extent and commencement. - (1) This Act may be called the Gujarat Official Languages Act, 1960.
(2) It extends to the whole of the State of Gujarat'.
(3) It shall come into force at once.
2. Official languages for official purposes of the State. - Hindi in Devnagari script (hereinafter referred to as "Hindi") and Gujarati shall be the languages to be used for all official purposes of the State of Gujarat except such purposes as the State Government may, from time to time by notification in the Official Gazette, specify:
Provided that the State Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette declare that Hindi shall be used for such official purposes only as may be specified in the notification.
3. Notifications to be laid before Legislature. - All notifications made under section 2 shall be laid before the State Legislature as soon as may be after they are made and shall be subject to such modifications as the State Legislature may make during the session in which they are so laid or the session immediately following.
4. language of Bills, Ordinances, orders, rules. - Unless otherwise provided by a notification under section 2, Hindi and Gujarati shall from such date as the State Government may by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint in respect thereof be the language to be used for-
(a) all Bills introduced or amendments thereto moved in the State Legislature;
(b) all Acts passed by the State Legislature and all Ordinances promulgated by the Governor under Article 213 of the Constitution; and
(c) all orders, rules, regulations and bye-laws issued by the State Government under the Constitution or under any law made by Parliament or the State Legislature.