The Haryana Legislative Assembly Proceedings (Protection of Publication) Act, 1978
Haryana Act No. 25 of 1978
Received the assent of the President of India on the 31st October, 1978 and was published for general information in Haryana Gazette Part I Legislative Supplement of November 4, 1978 :-
An Act to protect the publication of reports of proceedings of Haryana Legislative Assembly.
Be it enacted by the Legislature of the State of Haryana in the Twenty-ninth Year of the Republic of India as follow :-
1. Short title. - This Act may be called the Haryana Legislative Assembly Proceedings (Protection of Publication) Act, 1978.
2. Definition. - In this Act "newspaper" means any printed periodical work containing public news or comments on public news and includes a news-agency supplying material for publication in a newspaper.
3. Protection regarding publication of Haryana Legislative Assembly proceedings. - (1) Save as otherwise provided in sub-section (2), no person shall be liable to any proceedings, civil or criminal in any court in respect of the publication in a newspaper of a substantially true report of any proceedings of the House of Haryana Legislative Assembly, unless the publication is proved to have been made with malice.
(2) Nothing in sub-section (1) shall be construed as protecting the publication of any matter, the publication of which is not for the public good.
4. Act also to apply to Haryana Legislative Assembly proceedings broadcast by wireless telegraphy or television. - The Act shall also apply in relation to reports or matters broadcast by means of wireless telegraphy or television as part of any programme or service provided by any broadcasting station as it applies in relation to reports or matters published in a newspaper.
|Statement of Objects and Reasons. - With a view to provide immunity to the Press from acquisitions of libel for publication of substantiality correct reports of the proceedings in Haryana Vidhan Sabha.
Published vide Haryana Gazette Extra., dated 24.8.1978, P. 1166.