The Haryana Municipal (Making of Compost) Rules, 1976
Published vide Haryana Government Notification No. OSR 52/...../76, dated 19.3.1976
1. These rules may be called the Haryana Municipal (Making of Compost) Rules, 1976.
2. The compost depots shall be located at a distance of not less than four hundred metres from the nearest town inhabitation.
3. (1) Trenches in the compost depots shall be arranged in rows. The size of each trench shall be adjusted according to the quantity of refuse likely to be available daily, so that one or more trenches are completely filled on any one day. The depth of a trench shall be 0.914 metres (3 feet, in all cases and the breadth shall vary from 1.82 to 2.42 metres (6 to 8 feet) and length from 3.05 to 6.04 metres (10 to 20 feet).
(2) In the places where refuse and night-soil are collected in a mixed state, the mixed refuse shall be dumped directly into a trench after removing inter material like pot-sherds, brick-bats, pieces of iron, glass, etc. It shall then be spread evenly with long handed rakes and sufficient water sprinked to make it moist. This procedure shall be continued till the trench is filled up to a level of about 30 centimetre (one foot) above the ground level. The top shall be covered with 25-50 millimeters (1-2 inches) layer of earth.
(3) In places where night-soil and dry refuse are collected separately at first a 22.7 centimeters (9 inches) layer of dry refuse shall be spread evenly on the bottom of the trench. This shall be covered with a 50 to 75 millimeter (2 to 3 inches) layer of a thick emulsion of night-soil. The procedure of alternate layering shall be repeated till the trench is filled up to a level of about 22.7 centimeters to 30 centimeters (9 to 12 inches) above the ground level; the top layer in all cases being the dry refuse. The top shall then be covered with 25-50 millimeters (1 to 2 inches) thick layer of earth.
(4) In places where regular compost depots with trenches as specified in sub-rule (1) cannot be established due to excessive rainfall or difficulties of procuring adequate facilities like land, etc., composting shall be done after proper mixing and moistening of the night-soil and dry refuse in 0.914 metres (3 feet) high over ground heaps and shall be covered with 50 to 75 millimetres (2 inches to 3 inches) layer of earth or plastered with cowdung and/or earth plaster.
4. The compost shall not be used earlier than 4 months from the date of the trench is completely filled up, except under the advice of the Agriculture Department.
5. All rules relating to making of compost and corresponding to any of these rules which are in force in the municipalities immediately before the commencement of these rules shall stand repealed:
Provided that any order made or action taken under the rules so repealed shall be deemed to have been made or taken under the corresponding provisions of these rules.