The Jammu and Kashmir State Legislature Proceedings (Protection of Publication) Act, 1960
(Act No. 37 of 1960)
[Received the assent of Sadar-i-Riyasat on 10th October, 1960 and published in Government Gazette dated 21st October, 1960.]
An Act to protect the publication of reports of Proceedings of the Jammu and Kashmir State Legislature in the Eleventh Year of the Republic of India as follows :-
1. Short title and extent. - (1) This Act may be called the Jammu and Kashmir State Legislature Proceeding (Protection of Publication) Act, I960.
(2) It extends to the whole of the Jammu and Kashmir State.
2. Definition. - In this Act, "newspaper" means any printed periodical work containing public news or comments on public news, and includes a news-agency supplying materials for publication in a newspaper.
3. Publication of reports of proceedings of the Jammu and Kashmir State Legislature privileged. - (1) Save as otherwise provided in sub-section (2), no person shall be liable to any proceedings, civil or criminal, in any Court in respect of the publication in a newspaper of a substantially true report of any proceedings of either House of the Jammu and Kashmir State Legislature, unless the publication is proved to have been made with malice.
(2) Nothing in sub-section (1) shall be construed as protecting the publication of any matter the publication of which is not for the public good.
4. Act also to apply to proceedings of the Jammu and Kashmir State Legislature broadcast by wireless telegraphy. - This Act shall apply in relation to reports or matters broadcasting by means of wireless telegraphy as part of any programme or service provided by means of a broadcasting station situate within the territories to which this Act extends as it applies in relation to reports or matters published in a newspaper.