Inspector General of Prisons (Change in Designation) Act, 2001
The Inspector General of Prisons (Change in Designation) Act, 2001
(Act No. 13 of 2001)
[Received the assent of the governor on 9th November, 2001 and published in Government Gazette dated 13th November, 2001].
An Act to amend the laws relating to prisons and prisoners in the State.
Be it enacted by the Jammu and Kashmir State Legislature in the Fifty-second Year of the Republic of India as follows:-
1. Short title and commencement. - (1) This Act may be called the Inspector General of Prisons (Change in Designation) Act, 2001.
(2) It shall come into force from the date of its publication in the Government Gazette.
2. Substitution of expressions "Inspector General of Prisons" and "Inspector General". - With effect from the commencement of this Act, the expressions "Inspector General of Prisons" and "Inspector General" wherever occurring in the Prison Act, Samvat 1977 or the Prisoners Act, Samvat 1977 or the Prisoners Good Conduct (Temporary Release) Act, 1978 or in any rule or order made or issued thereunder in the Manual for the Superintendence and Management of Jails for the time being in force in the State, shall be substituted by the expression "Inspector General of Prisons and Correctional Services" and there shall be made in any sentence in which the aforesaid expressions occur consequential amendments as the rules of grammar may require.
3. Repeal and saving. - (1) The Controller of Prisons (Change in Designation) Act, 1985 (Act No. II of 1985) is hereby repealed.
(2) Notwithstanding such repeal anything done or any action taken under the said Act shall be deemed to have been done or taken under the corresponding provisions of this Act.