Jammu and Kashmir State Legislature Proceedings (Protection of Publications) Act, 1960
(Act No. 35 of 1960)
[Dated 10th of October, 1960]
An Act to protect the publication of reports of proceedings in the Jammu and Kashmir State Legislature.
Be it enacted by the Jammu and Kashmir State Legislature in the eleventh Year of the Republic of India as follows :-
1. Short title and extent. - (1) This Act may be called as the Jammu and Kashmir State Legislature Proceedings (Protection of Publications) Act, 1960.
(2) It extends to the whole of Jammu and Kashmir.
2. Definitions. - In this Act, "newspaper" means any printed periodical works containing public news or comments on public news and include a news agency supplying material for publication in a news paper.
3. Publication of reports of Proceedings of the Jammu and Kashmir State Legislature Privileged. - (1) Save as otherwise provided in sub-section (2), no person shall be liable to any proceedings, civil or criminal, in any court, in respect of the publication in a newspaper of a substantially true report of any proceedings of either house of the Jammu and Kashmir State Legislature, unless the publication is proved to have been made with malice.
(2) Nothing in sub-section (1) shall be constructed as protecting the publication of any matter the publication of which is not for the public good.
4. Act also to apply to proceedings of the Jammu and Kashmir State Legislature broadcast by wireless telegraphy. - This Act shall also apply in relation to reports or matters broadcast by means of wireless telegraphy as part of any programme or service provided by means of a broadcasting station situate within the territories to which the Act extends as it applies in relation to reports or matters published in a newspaper.