The Maharashtra Fisheries Rules, 1969
Published vide Notification G. N., A. & C. D., No. FST. 1462/13574-G, dated 13th August, 1969 (M. G., Part 4-B, page 1313)
In exercise of the powers conferred by sub-section (1) of section 4 of the Maharashtra Fisheries Act, 1960 (Maharashtra I of 1961), the Government of Maharashtra hereby makes the following rules, the same having been previously published as required by sub-section (5) of the said section 4, namely :-
1. Short title. - These rules may be called the Maharashtra Fisheries Rules, 1969.
2. Prohibition of construction of weirs etc. - Except with the previous permission in writing of the State Government or of an officer authorised in that behalf by the State Government, no person shall undertake the construction, temporary or permanent, of weirs, dams or bunds in or in the vicinity of any waters which the State Government or such authorised officer may declare to be suitable for improvement or development of fisheries in the State :
Provided that, such permission shall not be refused unless such construction is, in the opinion of the State Government or of the officer authorised, likely to be detrimental to the growth of fish in such waters.
3. Regulation of use of nets. - No person shall cause any net or other contrivance to be spread in the course of any flowing water (not being water in ponds, lakes or reservoirs) so as to block the passage of migrating fish.
4. Forfeiture of apparatus etc. - Any contrivance or nets used, in contravention of any of these rules and any fish taken by means of such contrivance nets shall, without prejudice to the penalty provided for by section 6 of the Act, be liable to be forfeited to the State Government without compensation.
5. Repeal of previous rules. - On the application of all or any of these rules to any waters under section 4, the corresponding provisions of the rules made under -
(i) the Indian Fisheries Act, 1897 (IV of 1897), in its application to the Bombay area of the State of Maharashtra,
(ii) the Fisheries Act (Hyderabad XXIII of 1356 Fasli), in its application to the Hyderabad area of the State of Maharashtra, and
(iii) the Central Provinces and Berar Fisheries Act, 1948 (C. P. and Berar VIII of 1948), in its application to the Vidarbha region of the State of Maharashtra,
shall stand repealed in relation to such waters except as respect things done or omitted to be done under those rules.
G. N., A. & C. D., No. FST. 1471/21821/12-ADF-(III), dated 12th May, 1977 (M. G., Part IV-B, page 446) - In pursuance of the provisions of Rule 2 of the Maharashtra Fisheries Rules, 1969, the Government of Maharashtra hereby authorises the Director of Fisheries, the Regional Fisheries Development Officers and District Fisheries Development Officers for the purposes of rule 2 of the said Rules.