The Meghalaya Adaptations of Laws Order (No. 1), 1972
Published vide Gazette of Meghalaya, Extraordinary, dated the 21st December, 1972
Last Updated 19th February, 2020 [meg017]
Whereas by Section 79 of the North-Eastern (Re-organisation) Act, 1971 (Central Act 81 of 1971), for the purpose of facilitating the application of any law in relation to the State of Meghalaya, the Government of the State of Meghalaya as the appropriate Government is empowered by Order, to make such adaptations and modifications of the law, whether by way of repeal or amendment, as may be necessary or expedient;
Now, therefore, in exercise of the powers aforesaid, the Government of the State of Meghalaya, hereby makes the following Order namely :
1. This Order may be called the Meghalaya Adaptation of Laws Order (No. 1), 1972.
(2) It shall be deemed to have come into force on the 21st day of January, 1972.
2. As on and from the 21st day of January, 1972 the Assam Motor Vehicles Taxation Act, 1936 (Act 9 of 1936) and the Meghalaya Motor Vehicles Taxation Act with the amendments to which they have been subjected and the rules, order, schemes, notifications or other instruments made under the aforesaid Act, shall, until altered, repealed, or amended by a competent Legislature or other competent authority, have effect subject to the following adaptations and modifications, namely:
In the Assam Motor Vehicles Taxation Act, 1936. (1) For the words "Assam" "the Assam State" or "the State of Assam" wherever they occur "Government of Meghalaya".
(2) Long title and Preamble. Omit "in the Province of Assam" and "in the Assam Province" respectively.
(3) Section 1. For Section 1, substitute-
"1. This Act may be called the Meghalaya Motor Vehicles Taxation Act".
(4) Section 4. Omit the two provisions to sub-section (1).
In sub-section (3), omit all the words commencing with "and the owner of such a vehicle" and ending with "Producer Gas Plant".
(5) Section 17. For "the Assam Board of Revenue Constituted under Section 3 of the Assam Board of Revenue Act, 1962" substitute "Board of Revenue".
In the Meghalaya Motor Vehicles Taxation Act (Act of the Autonomous State of Meghalaya). Omit Section 21.