The M.P. Official Language Act, 1957
M.P. Act No. 5 of 1958
[Dated 24th January, 1958]
Received the assent of the Governor on the 24-1-1958; assent first published in the Madhya Pradesh Gazette on the 17-2-1958.
An Act to declare the official language of the State of Madhya Pradesh.
Where it is expedient to provide for the adoption of Hindi as the language to he used for the official purposes of the State of Madhya Pradesh.
It is enacted by the Madhya Pradesh Legislature in the Eighth Year of the Republic of India as follows :-
1. Short title, extent and commencement. - (1) This Act may be called the Madhya Pradesh Official Language Act, 1957.
(2) It extends to the whole of Madhya Pradesh and it shall come into force immediately on its publication in the Madhya Pradesh Gazette.
2. Definition. - In this Act, unless there is anything repugnant in the subject or context, "Hindi" means Hindi in the Devanagari Script.
3. Official language for official purposes of the State. -  Subject as hereinafter provided, Hindi shall be the official language of the State for all purposes except such purposes as are specifically excluded by the Constitution and in respect of such matters as may be specified by Government from time to lime by notification.
[(2) The form of numerals to be used for the official purposes of the State shall be the Devanagari form of numerals :
Provided that the State Government may, by notification, authorize the use of the international form of Indian numerals for any official purpose of the State.]
4. Language to be used in Kills, etc. - [(1)] The language to be used in,-
M.P. Act No. 1 of 1973
M.P. Act No. 16 of 1987
(a) all Bills to be introduced or amendment thereto to be moved in each House of the State Legislature;
(b) all Acts passed by each House of the State Legislature;
(c) all Ordinances promulgated under Article 213 of the Constitution of India;
(d) all orders, rules, regulations and bye-laws issued by the State Government under the Constitution of India or under any law made by the Parliament or the Legislature of the State;
shall, on and from such date, as the State Government may, in respect of each of the items aforesaid, appoint by notification, he Hindi.
[(2) The form of numerals to be used in all Bills, Acts and Ordinances and all orders, rules, regulations and bye-laws mentioned in the sub-section (1) shall be the international form of Indian numerals.]
5. Rules and Repeal. - (1) The Government shall have power to make rules for carrying out the provisions of this Act.
(2) The Madhya Pradesh Official Language Act, 1950 (XXIV of 1950) and the Madhya Bharat Official Language Act, Samvat 2007 (67 of 1950), shall stand repealed.