The Assam Administrative Tribunal (Amendment) Ordinance, 2003
Assam Ordinance No. 1 of 2003
Published in the Assam,Gazette Extraordinary (No. 156), dated 23rd July, 2003 pages 1119-1121.
An Ordinance further to amend the Assam Administrative Tribunal Act, 1977.
Whereas the Legislative Assembly of the State of Assam is not in session and the Governor of Assam is satisfied that the circumstances exist which render it necessary for him to take immediate action for amending the Assam Administrative Tribunal Act, 1977 (Assam Act VIII of 1977), hereinafter called as the principal Act.
Now, therefore, in exercise of the powers conferred by clause (1) of Article 213 of the Constitution of India, the Governor of Assam is pleased to promulgate, in the Fifty-fourth Year of the Republic of India, the following Ordinance, namely-
1. Short title, extent and commencement. - (1) This Ordinance may be called the Assam Administrative Tribunal (Amendment) Ordinance, 2003.
(2) It shall have the like extent as the Principal Act.
(3) It shall come into force at once.
2. Amendment of Section 3. - In the Principal Act, in Section 3, for sub-sections (4) and (5), the following sub-sections shall be substituted namely-
"(4) The Chairman shall be a person who at the time of appointment normally shall be a serving officer of the State Government having sufficient seniority and wide administrative experience and shall serve as such Chairman in continuity till attaining the age of 62 years or re-appointed as the Chairman after superannuation in his parent service, till attaining the age of 62 years, as the case may be, and of the two other Members, one of whom shall have experience in the legal affairs and the other in technical matters, not being lower in rank than Secretary to the Government of Assam, shall serve in continuity as such Member till attaining the age of 62 years or reappointed as Members after superannuation in their parent service till attaining the age 62 years; as the case may be.
(5) No person shall be retained as the Chairman or a Member of the Tribunal after he has attained the age of 62 years."