The Orissa District Boards and Local Boards (Control and Management) Act, 1954
Orissa Act 5 of 1954
[Dated 30th March, 1954]
An Act to control and manage District Boards and Local Boards in the State of Orissa
Whereas it is expedient to amend the laws relating to District Boards and Local Boards in the State of Orissa to enable the State Government to take over control and management of such Boards;
It is hereby enacted as follows :
1. Short title and commencement. - (1) This Act may be called the Orissa District Boards and Local Boards (Control and Management) Act, 1954.
(2) It shall come into force at once.
2. Cancellation of extension of terms of office of members. - (1) Notwithstanding anything contained in the Bihar and Orissa local Self-Government Act 1885, Bengal Act III of 1885 or the Rules made thereunder or the Madras Local Boards Act, 1920 Mad. Act XIV of 1920 or the Sambalpur Local Self-Government Act, 1939, Or, Act VI of 1939 the State Government may, at any time by an order notified in the Gazette, direct the cancellation of extension of terms of the members of the District Boards and Local Boards including the Chairman and the Vice-Chairman or the President and Vice-President.
(2) When such cancellation is made or where the terms of office of such members have expired by efflux of time, the State Government shall, as soon as may be appoint a Special Officer for a period not exceeding [Six and half years] to exercise the powers, discharge the duties and perform the functions of the District Board or the Local Board as the case may be and its Chairman and the Vice-Chairman or the President and the Vice-President and the Executive Officer, if any.
3. The Orissa District Boards and Local Boards (Control and Repeal Management) Ordinance, 1953 or Ordinance No. III of 1953 is hereby repealed.