Orissa Legislative Assembly Proceedings (Protection of Publication) Act, 1960
The Orissa Legislative Assembly Proceedings (Protection of Publication) Act, 1960
O.A. No. 15 of 1960
Published vide Orissa Gazette Extraordinary/8-9-1960.
For Statement of Objects and Reasons, see Orissa Gazette Extraordinary No. 411/22-9-1958.
An Act to protect the publication of reports of proceedings of the Orissa Legislative Assembly.
Be it enacted by the Legislature of the State of Orissa in the Eleventh Year of the Republic of India as follows :
1. Short title, extent and commencement. - (a) This Act may be called the Orissa Legislative Assembly Proceedings (Protection of Publication) Act, 1960.
(b) It extends to the whole of the State of Orissa.
(c) It shall come into force at once.
2. Definition. - ln this Act, 'newspaper' means any printed periodical work containing public news or comments on public news, and includes a news-agency supplying materials for publication in a newspaper.
3. Publication of reports of the Assembly Proceedings privileged. - (1) Save as provided in Sub-section (2) no person shall be liable to any proceedings, civil or criminal, in any Court in respect of the publication in a newspaper of a substantially true report of any proceedings of the Orissa Legislative Assembly unless the publication is proved to have been made with malice.
(2) Nothing in Sub-section (1) shall be construed as protecting the publication of any matter, the publication of which is not for the public good.
4. Act also to apply to Assembly proceedings broadcasts by wireless telegraphy. - This Act shall apply in relation to reports or matters broadcast by means of wireless telegraphy as part of any programme or service provided by means of a broadcasting station situated within the territories to which this Act extends as it applies in relation to reports or matters published in a news paper.