Rules made to carry out the provisions of Section 30-A, 30-B, 30-C, 30-D, 30-E, 30-F, 30-G and 57-A of the Northern Indian Canal and Drainage Act, 1873
Published vide Notification Punjab Government Notification No. 4333-1W-59, dated 25.2.1959.
1. In these rules :
"Act" means the Northern India Canal and Drainage Act, 1873, as amended by Punjab Act No. 21 of 1958.
2. All schemes prepared under section 30A or approved under sub-section (4) of section 30B of the Act, shall be affixed on notice board outside the offices of Divisional Canal Officer, Sub-Divisional Officer and the Ziladar concerned as also Panchayat Ghar of the area covered by the schemes, displaying the sketch plan, the name of village, name of distributary and RD of outlet and any other necessary information including particulars of the land which has to come under the watercourse or the field drain, as also the names and headquarters of the Patwaris and the Ziladars with whom the details can be seen. The above sketch and information shall further be supplied to the Lambardars concerned in all the affected villages who shall, by beat of drum, announce the places where the details of the scheme can be inspected. The acknowledgement of Lambardar and his statement of having announced and given publicity shall be recorded with the file of the scheme and shall be conclusive proof of such announcement and publicity.
3. (1) The Divisional Canal Officer shall, as soon as may be, after the approval of the scheme by the Superintending Canal Officer under sub-section (4) of section 30(b), publish particulars of such schemes in the manner laid down in rule 2.
(2) After the scheme is so published under sub-rule (1), each share- holder shall, at his own cost, implement it in proportion to the culturable commanded area under the scheme held by him within a period of thirty days or such lesser period as the Divisional Canal Officer may deem reasonable.
4. When the Divisional Canal Officer either of his own motion or on receipt of an application from a shareholder proceeds under section 30D of the Act to acquire any land required for implementation of the scheme, he shall cause a sketch-plan to be prepared showing the alignment of proposed watercourse and giving identification numbers of the fields, acquisition of which in his opinion is necessary for such water-course, and publish the same in the manner prescribed in rule 2.
5. (1) Before proceedings are taken to recover the cost under section 3-E or 30F, from a shareholder, the Divisional Canal Officer, after working out the proportionate costs recoverable from the share-holder shall send a notice of demand in writing to each shareholder specifying the amount recoverable from him under section 30E or 30F, as the case may be.
(2) Any person aggrieved by such a notice of demand may, within twenty days of the receipt of the notice, present an application stating his objections in writing to the Divisional Canal Officer. The orders of the Divisional Canal Officer passed thereon after such enquiry, as he may deem necessary, shall be final.