Directions for the efficient use of energy and its conservation in the State of Punjab
Published vide Punjab Government Notification No. 2/123/05- STE(3)/370, dated 20th January/6th February, 2006
Department of Science, Technology, Environment and Non-Conventional Energy
OrderNo. 2/123/05-STE(3)/370. - In exercise of the power conferred by Section 18 of the Energy Conservation Act, 2001 (52 of 2001), the Governor of Punjab is pleased to issue the following directions for the efficient use of energy and its conservation in the State of Punjab namely :- I. Mandatory use of Solar Water Heating Systems. - 1. The use of BIS marked solar water hearing systems will be mandatory in the following categories of buildings, namely :-
(i) Industries where hot water is required for processing.
(ii) Hospitals and Nursing Homes including Government Hospitals.
(iii) Hotels, Motels and Banquet Halls.
(iv) Jail Barracks, Canteens.
(v) Housing Complexes set up by Group Housing Societies/Punjab Urban Development Authority.
(vi) All residential buildings, built on a plot of size 500 square yards and above, falling within the limits of Municipal Committees/Corporations and Punjab Urban Planning and Development Authority sectors.
(vii) All Government buildings, Residential Schools, Educational Colleges, Hostels, Technical/Vocational Education Institutes, District Institutes of Education and Training, Tourism complexes and Universities etc.2. Punjab Energy Development Agency will act as an approved source for supply and installation of solar water heating systems in the State to ensure the installation of optimally designed quality systems as per the BIS specifications. 3. All the line departments like Town and Country Planning Department, Urban Development Department, Public Works Department (Building and Roads), Punjab Urban Planning and Development Authority, Public Health Department and Architecture Department will amend their rules/bye-laws within a period of two months from the date of issue of this order to make the use of solar water heating systems mandatory. 4. These departments will also designate a district and a State level nodal officer to monitor and report the progress of enforcement of the State Government decisions to the Department of Science, Technology, Environment and Non-Conventional Energy Sources, Punjab, on Quarterly basis in the prescribed format. II. Mandatory use of Compact Fluorescent Lamps (CLFs) in Government Buildings/Government Aided Institutions/Boards/Corporations :
1. The use of incandescent lamps in all new buildings/institutions constructed in Government Sector/Government Aided Sector/Board and Corporation/Autonomous Bodies is banned with immediate effect.
2. It will be mandatory that in existing buildings the defective incandescent lamps when replaced, would be replaced by only compact fluorescent lamps (CFL).
3. Power utilities will affect necessary modification in the load demand notices within two months time from the date of issue of this order to promote the use of Compact Fluorescent Lamps instead of conventional bulbs while releasing/sanctioning new connections/loads.III. Mandatory use of BIS marked Motor pump sets, Power capacitor, Foot/Reflex valves in Agriculture Sector :
1. For all new tubewell connections, the use of BIS marked pump sets and accessories will be mandatory.
2. Punjab State Electricity Board will make the amendments in the load demand notices for tubewell connections within two months time from the date of issue of this order to ensure use of only BIS marked pumps in the State.IV. Promotion of Energy Efficient Building Design :
1. All the new buildings to be constructed in Government/Government aided sector will incorporate energy efficient buildings design concepts including Renewable Energy Technologies with immediate effect.
2. The Chief Architect, Punjab will ensure the incorporation of energy efficient building design concepts in all buildings to be constructed in future in the Government/Government aided Sector. A committee shall be constituted by the Chief Architect, Punjab to examine all existing and new building plans/drawings in Government/Government Aided Sector to ensure that all the features of the energy efficient building design concepts have been incorporated in these buildings.
3. The Chief Architect, Punjab will designate a nodal officer for co- ordination and monitoring of these measures who will send quarterly progress report to the Chief Executive, Punjab Energy Development Agency.The above orders supersede all previous orders, if any, in this matter and shall come into force with immediate effect.