Punjab Abolition of Village Cess Malba Act, 1961
The Punjab Abolition of Village Cess Malba Act, 1961
Punjab Act 17 of 1961
Received the assent of the Governor of Punjab on the 12th April, 1961 and was first published in the Punjab Government Gazette Extraordinary, dated the 18th April, 1961.
For Statement of Objects and Reasons, see Punjab Government Gazette Extraordinary, 1961, page 304.
An Act to abolish the village cess known as Malba
Be it enacted by the Legislature of the State of Punjab in the Twelfth Year of the Republic of India as follows :-
1. Short title and extent. - (1) This Act may be called the Punjab Abolition of Village Cess (Malba) Act, 1961.
(2) It extends to the whole of the State of Punjab.
2. Levy or collection of cess to cease. - Notwithstanding anything contained in any Record of Rights prepared or any notification issued or order made under the Punjab Land Revenue Act, 1887, or any agreement express or implied or any custom or usage to the contrary, as from the commencement of this Act, the village cess known as Malba by whatever name called (hereinafter referred to as the "Cess"), shall cease to be levied or collected.
3. Recovery of cess barred. - Notwithstanding anything contained in the Punjab Tenancy Act, 1887, or in any other law for the time being in force no suit or other legal proceedings for or in relation to the recovery of the cess shall lie or, if already instituted, shall be proceeded with; nor shall the cess be recoverable by any person by any other means whatsoever.
4. Penalty. - Whoever with the intent to evade the provisions of this Act accepts or obtains or agrees to accept or attempts to obtain from any person for himself or for any other person the cess hereby abolished shall be punishable with fine which may extend to three hundred rupees.