The Punjab Special Recruitment of Teachers Act, 1997
Punjab Act No. 8 of 1998
[Dated 29th January, 1998]
No. 8-Leg/98. - The following Act of the Legislature of the State of Punjab received the assent of the Governor of Punjab on the 25th January, 1998, and is hereby published for general information :-
To provide relief and remove hardship to teachers, who were earlier appointed on regular basis and later on on eighty nine days basis and their services were terminated on the ground that the number of teachers recruited was in excess of the number of posts advertised by treating them a class apart and to offer them one time appointment as a special category.
Be it enacted by the Legislature of the State of Punjab in the Forty-eighth Year of the Republic of India, as follows :-
1. Short title and commencement. - (1) This Act may be called the Punjab Special Recruitment of Teachers Act, 1997.
(2) It shall come into force at once.
2. Application of the provisions of the Act. - The provisions of the Act shall apply to the teachers who were first appointed on regular basis and thereafter on eighty nine days basis in the year 1994 and whose services were terminated on 13th of November, 1997.
3. Qualifications. - All teachers referred to in section 2 of this Act shall be appointed on regular basis on the vacant posts of teachers, provided they fulfil the qualifications prescribed for the post and category of teachers to which they are appointed and their appointment will take effect from the date they join the post:
Provided further that while making such appointment, they would be granted relaxation in age, equivalent to the service rendered by them on regular or eighty nine days basis before their services were terminated.
4. Savings. - Notwithstanding any provision of law and rules framed thereunder, these appointments shall not be called into question merely on the ground that the appointments have been made without advertisement.
5. Past Services. - The persons appointed under the provisions of this Act shall not be entitled to seniority and other service benefits by virtue of the earlier service rendered by them, either on regular basis or on eighty nine days basis.
6. Repeal and Saving. - (1) The Punjab Special Recruitment of Teachers Ordinance, 1997 (Punjab Ordinance No. 5 of 1997), is hereby repealed.
(2) Notwithstanding such repeal, anything done or any action taken under the Ordinance referred to in sub-section (1), shall be deemed to have been done or taken under the corresponding provisions of this Act.