Punjab State Legislature (Protection of Publication) Act, 1978
The Punjab State Legislature (Protection of Publication) Act, 1978
Punjab Act 16 of 1978.
An Act to protect the publication of reports of proceedings of State Legislature.
Be it enacted by the Legislature of the State of Punjab in the Twenty-ninth Year of the Republic of India as follows:-
1. Short title. - (1) This Act may be called the Punjab State Legislature (Protection of Publication) Act. 1978.
(2) It extends to the whole of the State of Punjab.
2. Definition. - In this Act "newspaper" means any printed periodical work containing public news or comments on public news, and includes a news-agency supplying material for publication in newspaper.
3. Publication of reports of State Legislature's proceedings. - (1) Save as otherwise provided in sub-section (2), no person shall be liable to any proceedings, civil or criminal, in any court in respect of the publication in a newspaper of a substantially true report of any proceedings of the State Legislature unless the publication is proved to have been made with malice.
(2) Nothing in sub-section (1) shall be construed as protecting the publication of any matter, the publication of which is not for the public good.
4. Act also to apply to State Legislature's proceedings broadcast by wireless telegraphy. - This Act shall apply in relation to reports or matters broadcast by means of wireless telegraphy as part of any programme or service provided by means of a broadcasting station situate within the territories of the State of Punjab as it applies in relation to reports or matters published in a newspaper.