The Punjab Public Service Commission (Additional Functions) Act, 1955
Punjab Act No. 9 of 1955
Received the assent of the Governor of Punjab on the 8th May, 1955 and was first published for general information in the Punjab Government Gazette (Extraordinary) of the 13th May, 1955.
An Act to provide for the recruitment of certain local bodies officers through the Punjab Public Service Commissions.
Be it enacted by the Legislature of the State of Punjab in the Sixth Year of the Republic of India is follows :-
1. Short title, extent and commencement. - (1) This Act may be called the Punjab Public Service Commission (Additional Functions) Act, 1955.
(2) It extends to the whole of the State of Punjab.
(3) It shall come into force at once.
2. Definitions. - In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires, -
Amended by Punjab Act 10 of 1957
Extended to Pepsu territory by Punjab Act 23 of 1957
Amended by Punjab Act 9 of 1972
(a) "Local Authority" means a Municipal Committee, Notified Area Committee, District Board or any other authority entrusted with their functions under any law for the time being in force.
(b) "Commission" means the Punjab Public Service Commission.
[(c) "Recruitment" means direct appointment or appointment of an official by transfer or promotion other than transfer or promotion in the cadre of the same service.]
3. Additional functions. - Except in the case of an appointment of an Executive Officer of a Municipal Committee under the Punjab Municipal (Executive officer) Act (Punjab Act II of 1931), [or the Patiala Municipal (Executive Officer) Act, 2003] recruitment of persons for all posts under a local authority, carrying an initial pay of [three hundred rupees] or more, shall be made through the Commission.