Sikkim Vaccination Act, 1967
Last Updated 20th February, 2020 [sik021]
1. "Parent" means the father of a legitimate child and mother of an illegitimate
2. "Guardian" includes any person who has accepted or assumed the care of custody of any child.
3. "Unprotected Person" means an individual above the age of 6 months who has not been duly protected against small-pox by having had the disease either naturally or by having been successfully vaccinated/re-vaccinated once in 2 years or who has not been certified under this Regulation to be insusceptible to vaccination.
4. "Vaccinator" means any vaccinator authorized by the Government of Sikkim to perform the operation of vaccination.
5. "Competent authority" means any person or authority declared to be a competent authority for any or all of the purposes of this Regulation.3. Liability to Vaccination. - (a) The parent or guardian of any unprotected child immediately after such child attains the age of 6 months, shall have such child vaccinated by a vaccinator.
(b) Any person above the age of 6 months shall have vaccination/re-vaccination every alternate year
(c) The Government of Sikkim may also, by public notification, declare that any person upon his entry into Sikkim, must satisfy a competent authority that be has been successfully vaccinated, failing which such person will be required to be vaccinated by a vaccinator, at any place and within such period, as may be specified in the notification:Provided that any person who may satisfy a competent authority that be objects to being vaccinated on grounds of religion, or conscience may be exempted from the provisions of this Section by a competent authority 4. Measure to ensure vaccination. - (a) Regular mass vaccination by vaccinators' village to village visits will be carried out in such a way that half of the population will be covered in one year and the remaining half in the following year. Thus the entire unprotected population will receive vaccination once in every 2 years the copy of mass vaccination programme will be endorsed well in time, amongst others to the Panchayat Officers and the Secretary Panchayat concerned Besides regular mass vaccination ,facilities for vaccination will be made available in the nearest hospital or dispensary for the- benefit of those who per chance miss vaccination during vaccinators visit to his village.
(b) A competent authority shall ascertain whether all persons required to be vaccinated under Section 3 have been vaccinated and if he has reason to believe that such person parent or guardian, as the case may be, has omitted to do or nor complied with the provisions of Section 3, he shall forthwith give vaccination to such person, parent, or guardian or caused to be affixed to his house a notice requiring that the vaccination be done at a time and place to be specified in such notice.5. Report to District Officer. - If such notice is not complied with, the competent authority shall report the matter to the District Officer and the District Officer receiving such report shall summon the defaulter and demand his explanation, and shall, if such explanation is satisfactory, made an order in writing directing such person to comply with the notice before a date specified in the order. 6. Procedure when order not obeyed. - If on such date the order has not been obeyed, the Magistrate shall summon the defaulter before him, and unless cause or excuse is shown, shall deal with the disobedience as an offence punishable under Section 7. 7. Punishment. - Whoever violates the provisions of this Regulation or neglect without just cause to obey an order made under this Regulation or the rules made thereunder, shall be liable to be punished with fine which may extend to fifty rupees. 8. Power to make Rules. - The Government of Sikkim may make rules, consistent with this Act, for its proper enforcement.