Telangana Propagation of Other Religion in the Places of Worship or Prayer (Prohibition) Act, 2007
(Act No.24 of 2007)
Last Updated 5th February, 2020 [tel130]
The Andhra Pradesh Propagation of Other Religion in the places of worship or prayer (Prohibition) Act, 2007 received the assent of the Governor on the 9th August, 2007. The said Act in force in the combined State, as on 02.06.2014, has been adapted to the State of Telangana, under section 101 of the Andhra Pradesh Reorganisation Act, 2014 (Central Act 6 of 2014) vide. the Telangana Adaptation of Laws Order, 2016, issued in G.O.Ms.No.45, Law (F) Department, dated 01.06.2016.
1. Short title, extent and commencement. - (1) This Act may be called the [Telangana] Propagation of Other Religion in the places of worship or prayer (Prohibition) Act, 2007.
(2) It extends to the whole of the State of [Telangana].
(3) It shall be deemed to have come into force on the 24th May, 2007.
2. Prohibition of Propagation of religion in places of worship etc. - (1) The Government with a view to maintain public order, tranquillity and serenity of a place of worship or prayer, prohibit propagation of a religion other than the religion traditionally practiced at such place, by words, either spoken or written or signs or by visible representation or distribute any printed material or other forms of religious literature.
(2) The Government by order shall notify such places of worship or prayer from time to time.
3. Offences and Penalties. - Whoever contravenes the provisions contained in section 2 shall be punished with imprisonment which may extend to three years or with fine upto Rs. 5,000/- (Rupees five thousand) or with both.
4. Placing order before the Legislature. - Every order passed by the State Government under section 2 shall as soon as it is made be laid before the Legislature of the State.
5. Repeal of ordinance No. 3 of 2007. - The Andhra Pradesh Propagation of Other Religion in the places of worship or prayer (Prohibition) Ordinance, 2007 is hereby repealed.