Telangana Hindu Widows' Marriage Act, 1347 F
(Act No. 1 of 1347 F)
Last Updated 20th January, 2020 [tel136]
The Andhra Pradesh (Telangana Area) Hindu Widows Marriage Act, 1347 F. in force as on 02.06.2014, has been adapted to the State of Telangana, under section 101 of the Andhra Pradesh Reorganisation Act, 2014 (Central Act 6 of 2014) vide. the Telangana Adaptation of Laws (No.2) Order, 2016, issued in G.O.Ms.No.46, Law (F) Department, dated 01.06.2016.
1. Short title, commencement and extent. - This Act may be called [the Telangana Hindu Widows' Marriage Act, 1347 F] and it shall come into force in the whole of the State of Telangana from the date of its publication in the Official Gazette.
2. Re-marriage of Hindu widow and her issue's rights of inheritance. - Notwithstanding an interpretation of the Hindu Law or the existence of any custom to the contrary, every Hindu widow, may re-marry any Hindu whom she could have married in accordance with the provisions of the Hindu Law if that were her first marriage. Such re-marriage shall not be deemed invalid and the issues born of her shall have the same rights of inheritance as could be enjoyed by the Punar Bhava Putra under the Hindu Law.
3. Performance of ceremonies, etc., for re-marriage of widow. - The words used, ceremonies performed or stipulations made which are considered sufficient to constitute a valid marriage of an unmarried Hindu woman shall also be considered sufficient to constitute a marriage of a Hindu widow; and no such marriage shall be declared invalid on the ground that such words, ceremonies or stipulations do not apply to a widow.
But in a sect where such marriage is, according to custom, deemed to be consummated in any other manner the provisions of this section shall have no effect on such custom.
4. Widow under sixteen years of age not to remarry. - Notwithstanding anything contained in this Act, no widow under sixteen years of age shall re-marry, nor her guardian, if any, cause her to marry.
Explanation. - For purposes of this section a widow who has completed the sixteenth year of her age shall be deemed to be major.
5. Extinction of rights of widow in property of deceased husband. - The re-marriage of a widow shall have the effect of extinguishing all the rights enjoyed by her in the property of the deceased husband as a widow under the provisions of the Hindu Law, and the other legal heirs shall inherit the property of her deceased husband as if she were dead; but this shall have no effect where according to the custom of a sect the rights of a widow are not extinguished on remarriage.
6. Saving of rights of widow in other property. - Except as is specified in section 5, no widow shall on account of re-marriage be deprived of any such property or lose any of her rights as may otherwise be vested in her; and every widow who re-marries shall have the same rights as regards inheritance in the property of her second husband as she would have had, if that were her first marriage.