The Motor Transport Workers (West Bengal Amendment) Act, 1978
West Bengal Act 46 of 1978
[27th December, 1978.]
Assent of the President first published in (ftp Calcutta Gazette. Extraordinary. dated the 27th December, 1978.
An Act to amend the Motor Transport Workers Act, 1961, in its application to West Bengal.
Whereas it is expedient to amend the Motor Transport Workers Act, 1961, in its application to West Bengal, for the purposes and in the manner hereinafter appearing;
It is hereby enacted as follows :-
1. Short title. - This Act may be called the Motor Transport Workers (West Bengal Amendment) Act, 1978.
2. Application of the Act. - The Motor Transport Workers Act, 1961 (hereinafter referred to as the said Act) shall, in its application to West Bengal, be amended in the manner hereinafter provided.
3. Insertion of new section 20A in Act 27 of 1961. - In the said Act, in Chapter V, after section 20, the following section/shall be inserted :-
"20A. Issue of appointment letter. - Notwithstanding anything in any contract, custom or usage to the contrary, in every motor transport undertaking engaged in carrying passengers, the employer shall issue to the motor transport worker a letter of appointment specifying therein-
(i) the name of the employer,
(ii) the address of the employer,
(iii) the registration number of the motor transport undertaking,
(iv) the name and address of the motor transport worker with designation,
(v) the date of appointment of the motor transport worker,
(vi) the term of appointment, that is to say, whether appointed on permanent or temporary or casual or any other basis,
(vii) the rate, or the basis of calculation, of wages, if any, and
(viii) the total emoluments payable, and the letter of appointment shall bear the date and signature of the employer.".
4. Repeal and savings. - (1) The Motor Transport Workers (West Bengal Amendment) Ordinance, 1978, is hereby repealed.
(2) Anything done or any action taken under the said Act as amended by the Motor Transport Workers (West Bengal Amendment) Ordinance, 1978, shall be deemed to have been validly done or taken under the said Act as amended by this Act as if this Act had commenced on the 20th day of October, 1978.