The Motor Vehicles (West Bengal Amendment) Act, 1967
West Bengal Act 13 of 1967
[18th April, 1967.]
Assent of the President was first published in the Calcutta Gazette. Extraordinary, dated the 18th April, 1967.
An Act to amend the Motor Vehicles Act, 1939, in its application to West Bengal.
Whereas it is expedient to amend the Motor Vehicles Act, 1939, in its application to West Bengal, for the purpose and in the manner hereinafter appearing;
It is hereby enacted as follows:-
1. Short title. - This Act may be called the Motor Vehicles (West Bengal Amendment) Act, 1967.
2. Application. - The Motor Vehicles Act, 1939 (hereinafter referred to as the said Act), shall, in its application to West Bengal, be amended in the manner hereinafter provided.
3. Insertion of new section 68FF in Act 4 of 1939. - After section 68F of the said Act, the following section shall be inserted, namely:-
"68FF. Power to State Government to direct grant of temporary permits in certain cases. - If at any time it appears to the State Government that any State transport undertaking has failed or is likely to fail to provide adequate road transport service for the carriage of passengers in any notified area or notified route in pursuance of an approved scheme enabling such undertaking to run and operate such service to the complete exclusion of other persons, then, notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained in this Chapter or in Chapter IV, the State Government may direct the Regional Transport Authority to grant, in respect of such area or route, to other persons such number of stage carriage permits, to be effective for such period not exceeding four months, as the State Government considers necessary to secure or maintain the adequacy of such service in such area or route and, thereupon, the Regional Transport Authority shall, without following the procedure laid down in section 57, grant such permits to such persons as it thinks fit.".
4. Repeal and savings. - (1) The Motor Vehicles (West Bengal Amendment) Ordinance, 1966, is hereby repealed.
(2) Anything done or any action taken under the said Act as amended by the Motor Vehicles (West Bengal Amendment) Ordinance, 1966, shall be deemed to have been validly done or taken under the said Act as amended by this Act as if this Act had commenced on the 12th day of December, 1966.