The Motor Vehicles (West Bengal Third Amendment) Act, 1967
West Bengal Act 19 of 1967
[5th August, 1967.]
Assent of the President first published in the Calcutta Gazette. Extraordinary, dated the 5th August. 1967.
An Act to amend the Motor Vehicles Act, 1939, in its application to West Bengal.
Whereas it is expedient to amend the Motor Vehicles Act, 1939, in its application to West Bengal, for the purpose and in the manner hereinafter appearing;
It is hereby enacted as follows:-
1. Short title. - This Act may be called the Motor Vehicles (West Bengal Third Amendment) Act, 1967.
2. Application. - The Motor Vehicles Act, 1939 (hereinafter referred to as the said Act), shall, in its application to West Bengal, be amended in the manner hereinafter provided.
3. Insertion of new section 68HH in Act 4 of 1939. - After section 68H of the said Act, the following section shall be inserted, namely:-
"68HH. Power to grant temporary permits under section 62 not to be affected. - Nothing in this Chapter shall affect the power of the Regional Transport Authority under section 62 to grant temporary permits in respect of any route or area for any of the purposes mentioned in that section, notwithstanding that such route or area includes a notified route or notified area or portion thereof covered by an approved scheme: Provided that where the approved scheme entitles the State transport undertaking to run and operate in respect of the notified route or notified area a road transport service for the carriage of passengers to the complete exelusion of other persons, temporary stage carriage permits shall not be granted under section 62 to other persons except with the approval of the State Government and unless, in the opinion of the Regional Transport Authority, the State transport undertaking is unable or unwilling to provide in respect of the proposed route or area such road transport service as is considered necessary for the particular purpose.".
4. Repeal and savings. - (1) The Motor Vehicles (West Bengal Amendment) Ordinance, 1967, is hereby repealed.
(2) Anything done or any action taken under the said Act as amended by the Motor Vehicles (West Bengal Amendment) Ordinance, 1967, shall be deemed to have been validly done or taken under the said Act as amended by this Act as if this Act had commenced on the 9th day of June, 1967.