The Calcutta Tramways (Amendment) ACT, 1884
Bengal Act 2 of 1884
[30th April, 1884]
Preamble. - Whereas it is expedient to facilitate the construction and regulate the working of tramways within such portions of Calcutta as are not [subject to the authority of the Corporation of Calcutta], and to make due provision for their general management, supervision and control; and whereas it is necessary to amend the Calcutta Tramways Act, 1880, for the purposes aforesaid;
It is hereby enacted as follows:-
1. Construction of Act. - This Act shall be read with, and taken as part of, the Calcutta Tramways Act, 1880.
(Commencement.)- Repealed by Act 1 of 1903.
2. (Definition of "Calcutta",) - Repealed by Act 1 of 1903.
3. Certain tramways to be subject to State Government. - All tramways constructed [in those portions of Calcutta as defined in the Calcutta Municipal Act, 1899, which are not subject to the authority of the Corporation of Calcutta] shall be subject to the general management, regulation and control of the [State Government]; and the [State Government] shall in this behalf exercise all the rights, powers, functions and authorities which would, under the provisions of the Calcutta Tramways Act, 1880, have been exercised by the Corporation if such tramways had been constructed wholly"[within the area subject to their authority].
4. Corporation not to have control in respect of tramway outside limits of the town. - Nothing in this Act shall be construed so as to give the Corporation any control, power or authority in respect of any tramway or part of a tramway constructed [outside the area subject to their authority].
5. Retrospective effect of Act as to tramways already constructed. - The provisions of this Act and of the Calcutta Tramways Act, 1880, shall apply to any tramway that may have been constructed before this Act comes into force, notwithstanding any omission or irregularity in publishing any notice required to be published under section 4 of the said Calcutta Tramways Act, 1880.