Bengal Government Indemnity Regulation, 1822
The Bengal Government Indemnity Regulation, 1822
Bengal Regulation 11 of 1822
[22nd November, 1822.]
A Regulation [* * *] for declaring Government not to be liable for any errors or irregularities in the proceedings of the Courts of Justice, and for making further provision for the conduct of the Revenue-officers in certain cases.
1. Preamble. - Repealed by Act 12 of 1841.
2. Repeals. - Repealed by Act 1 of 1903.
3 to 35. - Repealed by Act 12 of 1841.
36. Rules for khas management applied to purchases by Government. - If a Collector shall at any time, being so instructed by either the Government or the Board, purchase on account of Government an estate exposed to sale for the recovery of arrears of revenue, the rules applicable to the management of ordinary malguzari mahals held khas or farmed shall be considered applicable to such estate, and also to all other estates the property of Government, according as they may be held khas or let in farm.
37. Collector's power to punish for contempt. - Repealed by Act 12 of 1841.
38. Government not liable for errors of Courts. - It is hereby declared and enacted, that [the Government] is not and shall not be held liable for any error or irregularity which may have occurred, or shall, occur, in any order, proceeding or decree of any Court of Judicature, whether a revenue or other officer of [the Government] may or may not have been, or shall or shall not be, employed in giving effect to the order, proceeding or decree deemed to be erroneous or irregular.
Nor shall any officer of [the Government] be held liable for anything done or suffered in conformity with an order, proceeding or decree of a Court as aforesaid: and if any person or persons shall sue [the Government] or any officer of [the Government] for anything done or suffered under an order, proceeding or decree of Court as aforesaid, such person or persons shall be non-suited, with costs.
The same principle is and shall be held applicable to all orders, proceedings or decrees made, held or passed by any public officer, in virtue of powers vested in him for the judicial cognizance of any pleas, suits, complaints or informations whatsoever, unless otherwise specially provided.
39. Saving of Bengal Regulation 1 of 1821. - Repealed by Act 12 of 1841.