Indian Evidence (West Bengal Amendment) Act, 1955
The Indian Evidence (West Bengal Amendment) Act, 1955
West Bengal Act 29 of 1955
[6th October, 1955.]
An Act to amend the Indian Evidence Act, 1872 in its application to West Bengal.
Whereas it is expedient to amend the Indian Evidence Act, 1872, in its application to West Bengal for the purpose and in manner hereinafter appearing;
It is hereby enacted as follows :-
1. Short title and extent. - (1) This Act may be called the Indian Evidence (West Bengal Amendment) Act, 1955.
(2) It extends to the whole of West Bengal.
2. Application of Act. - The Indian Evidence Act, 1872 (hereinafter referred to as the said Act), shall, in its application to West Bengal, be amended for the purpose and in the manner hereinafter provided.
3. Insertion of new section 78A in Act 1 of 1872. - After section 78 of the said Act, the following new section shall be inserted, namely :-
"78A. Copies of public documents to be as good as the original documents in certain cases. - Notwithstanding anything contained elsewhere in this Act or in any other law for the time being in force, where any public documents concerning any areas within a partitioned district or subdistrict have been kept in East Bengal, then copies of such public documents shall, on being authenticated in such manner as may be prescribed from time to time by the State Government by notification in the Official Gazette, be deemed to have taken the place of, and to be, the original documents from which such copies w6re made and all references to the original documents shall be construed as including references to such copies.
Explanation. - In this section, -
(1) "partitioned district or sub-district" means any district or sub-district which, as a result of the award of the Boundary Commission appointed under section 3 of the Indian Independence Act, 1947 have fallen partly within West Bengal and partly within East Bengal;
(2) "East Bengal" means the territories now comprised in the Province of East Bengal forming part of the Dominion of Pakistan.".