The Indian Tolls (West Bengal Amendment) Act, 1978
West Bengal Act 18 of 1978
[31st May, 1978.]
Assent of the Governor was published in Calcutta Gazette, Extraordinary, dated the 31st May, 1978.
An Act to amend the Indian Tolls Act, 1851, in its application to West Bengal.
Whereas it is necessary to amend the Indian Tolls Act, 1851, in its application to West Bengal, for the purpose and in the manner hereinafter appearing;
It is hereby enacted as follows :-
1. Short title. - This Act may be called the Indian Tolls (West Bengal Amendment) Act, 1978.
2. Application of the Act. - The Indian Tolls Act, 1851 (hereinafter referred to as the said Act), shall, in its application to West Bengal, be amended in the manner hereinafter provided.
3. Substitution of new section for section 4 of Act 8 of 1851. - For section 4 of the said Act, the following section shall be substituted :-
"4. Exemptions from payment of toll. - (1) No tolls shall be paid for the passage of Members of Parliament and Members of the West Bengal Legislative Assembly and their vehicles, or for the passage of Police Officers on duty or of any person or property in their custody, or for the passage of any vehicle belonging to the Government of West Bengal with persons on board.
(2) The State Government may, by order, exempt from payment of tolls, for such area and for such period as it may specify, -
(a) the passage of vehicles with persons on board, engaged in relief operations, procurement and transport of food grains and election-duty or in any other urgent Government work, as it may determine; or
(b) the passage of such vehicles with persons on board of a religious or charitable institution, as it may think fit.
(3) No other exemption from payment of the toll levied under this Act shall be allowed.".