[6th January, 1958.]
An Act to amend the Prisons Act, 1894 in its application to West Bengal.
Whereas it is expedient to amend the Prisons Act, 1894 in its application to West Bengal for the purposes and in the manner hereinafter appearing;
It is hereby enacted as follows :-
1. Short title. - This Act may be called the Prisons (West Bengal Amendment) Act, 1957.
2. Application of the Act. - The Prisons Act, 1894 (hereinafter referred to as the said Act), shall, in its application to West Bengal, be amended for the purposes and in the manner hereinafter provided.
3. Amendment of section 46. - In section 46 of the said Act, -
(1) clause (5), clause (9) with the proviso thereof, clause (11) and clause (12) shall be omitted, and
(2) at the end of the proviso the words " , or to whipping" shall be omitted.
4. Amendment of section 47. - In sub-section (1) of section 47 of the said Act, clause (2) and clause (4) shall be omitted.
5. Amendment of section 50. - In sub-section (1) of section 50 of the said Act, the words "of penal diet, either singly or in combination, or of whipping, or" shall be omitted.
6. Amendment of section 51. - In sub-section (2) of section 51 of the said Act, the words ", and, in the case of offences for which whipping is awarded, the Superintendent shall record the substance of the evidence of the witnesses, the defence of the prisoner, and the finding with the reasons therefor" shall be omitted.
7. Omission of section 53. - Section 53 of the said Act shall be omitted.
8. Omission of section 57. - Section 57 of the said Act shall be omitted.
9. Amendment of section 59. - In section 59 of the said Act, -
(1) clause (16) shall be omitted;
(2) in clause (22), the words "transportation or" shall be omitted.
Revolutionising Law Reporting !
Biggest Law Library in Mobile
Get it Now !
You will Never Need a Law Reporter or Back Volumes