The Registration (West Bengal Amendment) Act, 1998
West Bengal Act 15 of 1998
[20th May, 1999.]
Assent of the President of India first published in the Calcutta Gazette, Extraordinary, dated the 20th May, 1999.
An Act to amend the Registration Act, 1908, in its application to West Bengal.
Whereas it is expedient to amend the Registration Act, 1908, in its application to West Bengal, for the purpose and in the manner hereinafter appearing;
It is hereby enacted as follows :-
1. Short title and commencement. - (1) This Act may be called the Registration (West Bengal Amendment) Act, 1998.
(2) It extends to the whole of West Bengal.
(3) It shall come into force on such date, or shall be deemed to have come into force on such date not earlier than the first day of April, 1998, as the State Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint.
2. Application of the Act. - The Registration Act, 1908 (hereinafter referred to as the principal Act) shall, in its application to West Bengal, be amended in the manner hereinafter provided.
3. Insertion of new section 30B in Act 16 of 1908. - After section 30A of the principal Act, the following section shall inserted :-
"30B. Special power of registration in certain cases by Registrar of Assurances, Calcutta. - Notwithstanding anything contained elsewhere in this Act, the Registrar of Assurances, Calcutta, may, without regard to the situation in any part of India outside the State of West Bengal of the property to which a document relates, receive and register the document where such document is in the nature of -
(a) a mortgage bond executed by an employee of a Government, a statutory body or a local authority in favour of such Government, statutory body or local authority as security for advances taken by such employee for house-building purposes; or
(b) a reconveyance executed by a Government, a statutory body or a local authority in favour of an employee of such Government, statutory body or local authority on repayment of the advances taken by such employee for house-building purposes.".